It's Just Nice

A lifestyle blog bringing you fashion, music, food, and everything else that's just nice about Bristol and beyond!

Grillstock, Bristol

If, like me, you think about food for approximately 60% of your day (the other 40% is spent eating it) then you would have noticed that BBQ is the cuisine d’jour right now. You can’t walk ten metres in that there London without coming across an uber trendy new restaurant who do some outrageously gluttonous version of authentic Southern BBQ. And with the steady stream of new burger joints popping up across our city, it seems Bristol isn’t far behind.

But whilst the competition for Bristol’s best burger is well and truly ON (Atomic Burger are still the one in my book, but The Burger Joint and Guerilla Burger are hot contenders) anyone hoping to take the title of Bristol’s King of the Grill needs to stop in their tracks. Why? Because Grillstock have got it DOWN!

Meat, Music and Mayhem at Grillstock

Meat, Music and Mayhem at Grillstock

Your choice of BBQ joy!

Your choice of BBQ joy!

I’d be surprised if any of you Bristol lot haven’t heard of Grillstock by now, but for those of you a bit further afield here’s all you need to know. Grillstock is the brain child of Jon Finch and Ben Merrington – a pair of BBQ fanatics who felt the UK BBQ scene was, well…a bit shit. Inspired by their travels in the States, they decided to bring real BBQ to Bristol, and Grillstock was born.

But not content with a festival and a super successful stall in St Nick’s under their belts, the Grillstock boys have branched out even further – they’ve gone and got themselves a restaurant!

And what a restaurant it is!

Nestled on Clifton Triangle, Grillstock’s new joint is everything we’ve come to know and love. Living up their mantra of Meat, Music, Mayhem, the vibe in the restaurant is just the right balance. The open kitchen gives a glimpse of the hustle and bustle that goes into their BBQ, whilst the long communal benches make for a very laid back dining experience.

photo (41)

The menu is unashamedly meat-centric, as you’d expect, so apologies to our veggie friends – this isn’t going to be your kind of blog post. The staple dish, BBQ plates, start at £8, and include your choice of meat (pulled pork, brisket, ribs or chicken) as well as a huge pile of chips, a dollop of coleslaw, a wedge of cornbread and best of all, a home-made smoked sausage link. Will, my meat loving other half, stated that the sausage was the best he’d ever had, and trust me – he’s a bit of an expert!

The Pulled Pork BBQ plate

The Pulled Pork BBQ plate

I went with the burger, which at £7 was a steal. Served with a side of chips and slaw, and topped with pulled pork, pickles and cheese, it made for a monster of a meal, and the burger itself was definitely up there as one of the best burger patties I’ve ever tried (hey @bristolfoodies – you need to get yourself down here!)

Pulled Pork topped burger - immense!

Pulled Pork topped burger – immense!

There’s not much more I can say about Grillstock other than they’re doing everything right and you need to get yourself down there ASAP! And of course, let us know what you think – I have a sneaking suspicion you’ll love it!

Advertisements

6 comments on “Grillstock, Bristol

  1. Will
    June 18, 2013

    Yor forgot the beans!!!! The BBQ beans!!! They were nomalicious!

    • Meg Pope
      June 18, 2013

      How could I forget the beans!!

      BBQ beans, complete with pulled pork – they’re the boss!

  2. I just love the fact that they serve sausages as side orders! Always a good thing in my book!

    I went for the Smokestack Burger too, and loved it…think I’ll be a pretty regular visitor…!

    • Meg Pope
      June 18, 2013

      More than a little bit tempted by the Lockjaw Burger mind! Save that for a hangover day maybe?!

  3. Grillstock (@grillstock)
    June 18, 2013

    Lockjaw burger all the way folks! How about the golden nuggets of BBQ – Burnt Ends?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on June 18, 2013 by in Food and tagged , , , , , , .

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 240 other followers

Twitter

Top Rated

%d bloggers like this: